Metropolitan Indianapolis Board of Realtors just released final numbers for the year 2018. Here’s how home sales fared:
- Sales bucked the national trend and were positive. Up 1% over 2017
- New listings were slower in December, but still up 3% on the year
- Prices ended the year up 7% over the previous New Year, with the median house selling for $176,000
- And available inventory continued to tighten, down 4%
Want to hear how your county is doing specifically, give Indy’s Choice a call. Be in the know!
HUD announced in December that FHA mortgage loan limits will increase for all Indiana counties. In 2018 the loan limits ranged from $294,515-322,000. Corresponding limits in the new year will run from $314,827-343,850. FHA mortgage loans are insured by the federal government. In most cases, they require a minimum cash down payment of 3.5% of the purchase price (ie. A house selling for $100,000 would require a cash down payment of $3500). The urban rumor mill has it that these are for first time home buyers only. That would be wrong! They are available to most anyone, regardless of income or whether you’re a first time buyer or it’s your seventh house. However, generally you can have only one outstanding FHA loan at a time, and they are for primary residence only. You cannot buy a rental property with a FHA loan— (drum roll) you can buy a 2-4 unit property with a FHA loan if you are going to live in one of the units! And even in that case, the down payment is only 3.5%! Talk about a way to get started in real estate!! Want to know the loan limit in your area? Call the experts at Indy’s Choice today.
November housing market numbers are just in for Central Indiana, courtesy of MIBOR.
- Unlike the nation as a whole, new listings are slowly increasing, +4% from last 2017.
- Sales are up as well, 2% Y-o-Y, but in a slowing pattern.
- Prices continue to rise, with median sales price now $179,000. Up 9% from a year ago.
- Sellers are getting 95% of their original asking price. (Which is to say it’s still a seller’s market but not like last spring.)
- Available inventory remains very tight, with 7% fewer houses available for each buyer to choose from.
Want to learn how to take the most of this market for your own self? Give me a call at 317-625-0655.